Home > Scholarship Programs
> Terry Foundation Scholars
Terry Foundation Scholars
What is the Terry Foundation Scholarship?
Howard and Nancy Terry were long-time residents of Houston, where Mr. Terry was successful in a variety of businesses, ranging from banking to oil and gas. In 1986, the Terry family decided to help young people to help themselves by setting up an educational foundation. Mr. Terry had always been grateful for the financial assistance that enabled him to go to college, so they decided to dedicate their time and resources to giving future generations of young people in Texas this same opportunity.
The Terry Foundation Scholarship is offered to traditional first-time freshman who graduate from Texas high schools. Please see the eligibility section below for more information.
Funding for the Terry Foundation Scholarship at Texas A&M is provided by the Terry Foundation. For more information about the Terry Foundation, please visit the Terry Foundation
To be considered for the Terry Scholarship, you must:
*The above item will be requested for those who are being reviewed by the Texas A&M University Terry Scholarship Review Committee and will not be accepted before they are requested. Request for these items does NOT necessarily indicate that you will be forwarded to the Terry Foundation for an interview.
- Be admitted by January 31 as an incoming freshman to Texas A&M University-College Station for the fall semester after high school graduation
- Be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Attend a Texas high school or home school in Texas
- Have strong academic abilities shown in your grades and SAT/ACT test scores
- Have a record of leadership in your school and community
- Demonstrate financial need by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Submit two letters of recommendation and a high school transcript.*
To maintain eligibility once awarded the Terry Scholarship, you must:
- Submit the FAFSA each year.
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPR and 2.0 semester GPR
- Enroll-full time each semester (minimum 12 hours) at Texas A&M in face-to-face courses
- Attend the Terry Scholars Orientation in August
- Attend the Terry Banquet in October
- Attend the Terry Picnic in April/May
- Participate in a designated First Year Experience Course and mentor program through the Terry Scholars Organization during your first year at A&M
- Live in Hobby Hall in the Terry Scholars Living Learning Community your first year (unless you are in the Corps of Cadets)
You should refer to the Terry Scholar Handbook for the most up to date information.
To determine if you might be eligible to apply for and/or receive the Terry Scholarship, please visit our Terry Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The Terry Scholarship is for four years, for the completion of the student’s first undergraduate degree, pending completion of all requirements, including maintaining good academic and participation standing.
To apply for the Terry Scholarship, you should complete the ApplyTexas Application
or the Coalition Application
for Freshman Admission. The deadline to submit the application is December 1. Please complete the admissions portion of the application first and then the scholarship portion of the application. This will allow for your information to pre-populate on the scholarship application. To be considered for the Terry Scholarship, you should complete all questions and essays on the application for admissions and scholarships and submit both when complete.