Home > Scholarship Programs
> Texas Armed Services Scholarship Program
Texas Armed Services Scholarship Program
The Texas Armed Services Scholarship (TASSP) has been created to assist promising students from the State of Texas who are committed to education and service. It encourages young leaders to participate in the Texas Army National Guard, the Texas Air National Guard, the Texas State Guard, the United States Coast Guard, the United States Merchant Marine, or to become commissioned officers in any branch of the armed services of the United States. Annually, the governor and the lieutenant governor may each appoint two students, and each state senator and each state representative may appoint one student to receive a conditional TASSP award.
Scholarship award amounts will be determined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board in mid-September of each academic year. The amount of this scholarship may not exceed the difference between the cost of attendance and other forms of student assistance for which the student may be eligible.
Eligibility for Nomination (meet two of the following four criteria)
- Be on track to graduate high school in a Distinguished Achievement Program or International Baccalaureate program
- Maintain a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Be ranked in the top third of high school graduating class
- Achieve an SAT score of 1070 or ACT score of 23
Eligibility for Initial Award
- Be nominated by the governor, lieutenant governor, state senator or state representative
- Be enrolled in a Texas public institution of higher education
- Be a member in good standing of an ROTC program
- Complete written agreement with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to:
- Complete 4 years of ROTC training
- Graduate within 6 years
- No later than 6 months after graduation, provide the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board with verification of a 4 year commitment to be a enter Guard service OR accept a commission with the armed services.
- Meet program physical fitness requirements
- Meet satisfactory academic progress requirements
Eligibility for Renewal Award
To continue to be eligible each year for TASSP students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress with a GPR of at least 2.0 and completion rate of at least 75% of courses attempted in an academic year.
- Continue to be a member of an ROTC program.
- Cannot have earned a bachelor’s degree or completed a cumulative total of 150 hours, including transfer hours.
You must be appointed by a state representative or state senator or by the Governor or Lieutenant Governor. The nomination letter from the nominator needs to be sent to Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) directly.
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
ATTN: Loan Services
PO BOX 12788
Austin, TX 78711
Once the THECB receives the nomination they will send the student a confirmation of the nomination. Please send this confirmation from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Estimated awards will be offered via the Financial Aid Portal in late summer of each year. Final award amounts may differ from the estimate and will be adjusted each year in mid-September after the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has released the annual award amount. Please monitor your Financial Aid Portal to accept the award and for steps to complete the application process via hhloans.com
You must complete a new application each year to receive TASSP. This process begins with an offer in the Financial Aid Portal and includes completing an application each year via hhloans.com
. Renewal awards will be offered via the Financial Aid Portal in late summer of each year. Final award amounts may differ from the estimate and will be adjusted each year in mid-September after the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has released the annual award amount. Please monitor your Financial Aid Portal to accept the award and for steps to complete the application process.
Payment of TASSP funds
Please note that funds from TASSP will not pay until the semester has already begun. This is due to the fact that the final award amount is not set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board until mid-September and Texas A&M must verify that TASSP recipients are enrolled in courses and in an ROTC program. Typically, the earliest funds will arrive to be disbursed to the student is in the beginning of October. Please plan your budget and bill payments accordingly.
Changing Graduation Date
If you need to update your graduation date, you should contact the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board directly - (800) 242-3062 (outside Austin) or (512) 427-6340 (inside Austin).
Graduating TASSP Students
Graduating TASSP students need to complete the Annual Certification/ Notice of Fulfillment form
and provide the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) with a copy of your Military orders upon graduation. Each of the following years (for four years) this Annual Certification form needs to be completed and sent to THECB to show continuing eligibility.
For more information please visit hhloans.com
For questions about your scholarship please contact us at email@example.com