Home > Scholarship Programs
> Welch Scholars
Welch Scholars - Funded by the Finis Welch Foundation
Finis Welch began funding scholarships at Texas A&M University in the fall of 2011. A resident of Bryan and Centerville, Texas, Finis was a world-renowned economist, a highly successful entrepreneur and an accomplished rancher. Mr. Welch was the founder and President of Welch Consulting, Ltd, a preeminent labor economics consulting firm. In addition, Finis was cofounder of StataCorp LLC, the firm that develops Stata, the statistical software for data scientists that is used worldwide. Finis was also the owner, operator of a 10,000-acre ranch in Centerville, Texas. He earned a PhD in economics from The University of Chicago in 1966 and subsequently had a distinguished career as a Professor of Economics at several leading universities, including University of Chicago, Yale, UCLA and Texas A&M University. He is widely regarded as one of the world's preeminent labor economists. His achievements in labor economics earned him the prestigious Jacob Mincer Award in 2007 and was a fellow of the American Academy of Art and Sciences.
Finis Welch was the founder and sole benefactor of the Finis Welch Foundation. The foundation was established in 2012 and reflects Finis' lifelong commitment to education by providing scholarships to high-achieving students who can demonstrate financial need. The mission of the Finis Welch Foundation is to stress the importance of education and enhance the quality of life through education. The Finis Welch Foundation seeks to recognize and support individuals enrolled in or enrolling in educational institutions. For more information about the Finis Welch Foundation, please visit the Finis Welch Foundation website (hyperlink to come soon)
- To be considered to be a Welch Scholar at Texas A&M University, you must:
- Be admitted by January 31 as an incoming freshman to Texas A&M University-College Station for the fall semester after high school graduation
- Be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Attend a Texas high school or home school in Texas
- Have strong academic abilities shown through your high school performance and completed test scores (SAT or ACT scores must be submitted for consideration)
- Demonstrate financial need by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- To maintain eligibility a Welch Scholar must:
- Submit a FAFSA each year
- Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPR
- Enroll full-time each semester (minimum of 12 hours) at Texas A&M College Station
- Meet the 30/60/90 hour rule. You are required to have earned 30 hours by the end of your first academic year, 60 hours by the end of your second academic year, and 90 hours by the end of your third academic year. An academic year includes the fall, spring, and summer terms. Hours earned via transfer credit, dual credit, and AP/IB testing can be used to meet the 30/60/90 rule.
- A Welch Scholar scholarship is for four years, for the completion of the student’s first undergraduate degree, pending completion of all requirements, including maintaining good academic and participation standing.
- Apply using the ApplyTexas Application or the Common Application. You must complete the admission and scholarship portions to be considered.
- Submit a complete Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR)
- Submit test score(s) for the SAT or ACT
- All applications received will be reviewed and selected by the Texas A&M University’s Scholarship & Financial Aid and the Finis Welch Foundation