Home > Scholarship Programs
> TASSP Program Timeline
TASSP Program Timeline
The Texas Armed Services Scholarship (TASSP) has been created to assist promising students from the State of Texas who are committed to education and service. It encourages young leaders to participate in the Texas Army National Guard, the Texas Air National Guard, the Texas State Guard, the United States Coast Guard, the United States Merchant Marine, or to become commissioned officers in any branch of the armed services of the United States. Annually, the governor and the lieutenant governor may each appoint two students, and each state senator and each state representative may appoint one student to receive a conditional TASSP award.
Scholarship award amounts will be determined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board in mid-September of each academic year. The amount of this scholarship may not exceed the difference between the cost of attendance and other forms of student assistance for which the student may be eligible.
For more information please visit hhloans.com
. For questions about your scholarship please contact us at email@example.com
- Be on track to graduate high school in a Distinguished Achievement Program or International Baccalaureate program
- Maintain a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Be ranked in the top third of high school graduating class
- Achieve an SAT score of 1070 or ACT score of 23
- To receive a scholarship, an appointed student must:
- Be registered with Selective Service or be exempt
- Be enrolled and in good standing in a Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) program or another undergraduate officer commissioning program as certified by the institution
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) as indicated by the financial aid office at the recipient’s institution of higher education
- Enter into a written agreement with the THECB
- Complete school-initiated TASSP application by October 15, 2020
- Repay the scholarship if requirements are not met
If a student fails to meet the requirements to initially receive a scholarship or fails to complete the application process by October 15, the student forfeits the scholarship. The THECB will notify the legislative office of their nominee’s change in eligibility so that the legislator can submit an alternate student.
You must be appointed by a state representative or state senator or by the Governor or Lieutenant Governor. The nomination letter from the nominator needs to be sent to Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) directly.
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
ATTN: Loan Services
PO BOX 12788
Austin, TX 78711
- Once the THECB receives the nomination they will send the student a confirmation of the nomination. Please send this confirmation from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to firstname.lastname@example.org. Estimated awards will be offered via the Financial Aid Portal in late summer of each year. Final award amounts may differ from the estimate and will be adjusted each year in mid-September after the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has released the annual award amount. Please monitor your Financial Aid Portal to accept the award and for steps to complete the application process via hhloans.com.
You must complete a new application each year to receive TASSP. This process begins with an offer in the Financial Aid Portal and includes completing an application each year via hhloans.com. Renewal awards will be offered via the Financial Aid Portal in late summer of each year. Final award amounts may differ from the estimate and will be adjusted each year in mid-September after the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has released the annual award amount. Please monitor your Financial Aid Portal to accept the award and for steps to complete the application process.
Please note that funds from TASSP will not pay until the semester has already begun. This is due to the fact that the final award amount is not set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board until mid-September and Texas A&M must verify that TASSP recipients are enrolled in courses and in an ROTC program. Typically, the earliest funds will arrive to be disbursed to the student is in the beginning of October. Please plan your budget and bill payments accordingly.
If you need to update your graduation date, you should contact the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board directly - (800) 242-3062 (outside Austin) or (512) 427-6340 (inside Austin).
Graduating TASSP students need to complete the Annual Certification/ Notice of Fulfillment form
and provide the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) with a copy of your Military orders upon graduation. Each of the following years (for four years) this Annual Certification form needs to be completed and sent to THECB to show continuing eligibility.